Having traveled to Sweden five years ago, I have always wanted to go back and visit for longer. Traveling is one experience but being able to live in a foreign country for more than a couple of weeks is quite an opportunity. You can read and learn everything there is to know about a country all you want, before you go; admire their culture, way of life and design aesthetics from afar but truly there is no substitute for physically being placed in the context of daily life in that foreign country.
It couldn’t have been a more perfect meeting. Having arrived in Sweden during the beginning of August, when most of the town was away at their summer cottages, it was a pleasant introduction to a new atmosphere. The town brought a welcomed quietness back into my life, from the otherwise hustle and bustle of London. Not originally being from London and missing a bit of home, it was a comforting feeling being met by a nearly desolate town surrounded by nature, in the middle of summer.
Probably one of the best decisions during my exchange was having chosen to enroll in the Erasmus Intensive Language Course - Swedish Beginners Language. It allowed me to meet other students on exchange not necessarily attending the Swedish School of Textiles but also other students going on to study in other areas of Sweden. I highly recommend other exchange students to take this course the month before school begins because you meet other exchange students and while the town can be very quiet during this month, it is good to have other people to explore the city with.
I feel so lucky to have had this opportunity to not only live in Sweden but to also study textiles of all things; two things I am equally interested and fascinated by. I really had no idea what to expect of the small town of Borås. Again, I tried to look up information and images about the town but still couldn’t get a sense for what to expect. Although, one of the prevailing topics that kept on coming up was its rich history within the Swedish Textile Industry, which I took as being a good sign. Having been interested in textiles for several years now, most often I felt like the odd one of my friends’ or of a new acquaintance studying “that” uncommon topic. Always having to explain what exactly being a textile student entails and having to defend it somehow at one point or another within a conversation. It was so refreshing to then be living in this town where there is such a rich history of textiles. There was even a large scale Textile Museum, which often seemed to be the epicenter for textile related events and openings. It was as if the town was made for us textile exchange students.
When I was in my early 20’s I naively thought I knew everything and believed I was quite mature for my age and then now in my late 20’s I feel humbled to feel like I learned something more about myself. There is something to be said about moving somewhere new and not knowing anyone and starting ‘another’ daily life. Ultimately, I feel like I gained another level of confidence and self awareness I may not have discovered if I wasn’t given the opportunity to go on exchange and have this new experience.
image via here